John lived an honest, fulfilling life and left behind his love and compassion in the reflection of his boys and grandchildren. I am grateful for having known him for the last nine years. I am thankful that he treasured his time with our kids; that he took the time to sit on a bank and fish with Jacob; that he would drop everything when we pulled in the driveway, throw the kids in the wagon, and head off across the yard for an evening of little adventures.
He is a father, grandfather, husband, brother, and friend. He is remembered by so many for the impact he made on their lives.
In my attempt to understand God's plan, I keep clinging to a quote that a friend sent: "In the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." - credited to Abraham Lincoln. And it has been clear to me that John made his years count.
Thank you for sharing your memories with us. In the short time we were fortunate enough to know John, it was obvious how much he loved his family. I feel blessed to have had the opportunity to meet John. I know in my heart, John will always be watching over you.
ReplyDeleteI never had the chance to meet him, Bethany, but I can see through this absolutely beautiful slideshow and all of your pictures over the years the JOY he felt when he was with your children. What a blessing that he knew them and they have such precious memories of their beloved grandfather. Bless your family. I'll continue to pray for you all - we think of you often.
ReplyDelete