**WARNING - If you really don't like snakes, you best stop scrolling. Nothing graphic, I promise.
Last weekend, the kids and I visited Wickiup Hill Nature Center for a hands-on learning session about snakes. The gentleman that owns the snakes was extremely knowledgeable about the various species of snakes that occupy our state. We all walked away learning something new.
The kids had the opportunity to handle many different types of snakes. All were safe and completely used to being carried around. The setting for this session was so tranquil. The snakes were relaxed and mellow. The children were all polite and patient. It was quite an experience.
Jacob dove right in. He was not shy about holding any of the snakes...including the 10 foot python that was the centerpiece of the room.
Jenna never acted scared (thankfully there were no mascots/"costumes") but she was slightly more reserved in wanting to hold a snake. She eventually came around and then she was one of the first with her hand out when they brought out a new creature.
I know many of you do not like snakes. But I think it is important to expose my kids to new situations and learning experiences so they can grow and understand more of the world around them. For that reason, I am so thankful that we discovered Wickiup Hill and that they care enough to organize these types of programs.
 |
| Waiting for his turn to hold "Mukluk" |
 |
| Bull snake |
 |
| Jenna is still working up the courage |
 |
| No fear |
 |
| Jacob liked when they wrapped around him |
 |
| I don't remember what kind of snake this was, but it was cold and kept curling up into a ball when it was being held |
 |
| Jenna's time with Mukluk |
 |
| All wrapped up |
 |
| Baby milk snake - Just Jenna's size |
No comments:
Post a Comment