Thank you for all of the kind messages and gifts. It is comforting to know how many people are thinking about and praying for us.
Things have been going really well at home. Jake has a little more swelling than in the hospital but he isn't sleeping as upright, he's moving around a lot more, and they backed off his swelling medicine. It doesn't seem to bother him.
The medicine they use to control swelling is a steroid so it comes with a few affects. He is constantly hungry and thirsty, mostly for milk. I am sure this will be of benefit for his bone that is working to heal. However, I have read that the steroid has a way of interrupting sleep...that is an understatement. Jake is up more at night than Jenna. Surprisingly, he isn't as tired during the day as I expected. He wears out quickly in the morning but isn't really interested in an afternoon nap. He only has three days left on the steroid, so hopefully his sleep patterns will normalize.
Otherwise, he spends his days playing with his toys and reading books. His personality is there 100%. We need to keep him relatively isolated for about another week. After that, I am sure we are going to need some play dates. He is going to get bored with me!
The soft helmet they provided us in the hospital is a really poor fit. We are making it work for now, but he hates wearing it. We found an orthotics place in Cedar Rapids that has ordered us a different style. It is less of a helmet and more of a headband. It should be in by Monday. I am sure it will be more comfortable for him and not quite as hot. He is going to need to wear it for the next 7 weeks, so it needs to be something he will accept.
We have an appointment on Thursday to get his stitches out. We just made our first attempt at redressing it at home. It went pretty well. We will see how long it stays put!!
I really just wanted to report that everything is going extremely well. I never could have imagined we would be this close to normalcy in such a short amount of time. I realize that Jake has a lot of healing before we hit "normal" but at least our house isn't in a total uproar.
Great news! How is Jenna? Is she super clingy since you were gone for a while? Does she understand not to touch Jake's head? She is soo young that realizing what a bandage is could be tough.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you!
Katherine
This is wonderful! So happy to hear that he's doing so well - there must be something to it like the doctor told you - he's at the point where he'll heal better at home for sure! Hope the trend continues - still thinking of you all.
ReplyDeleteHaley