Saturday, March 31, 2012

PICU/Recovery Day #2

6:00 PM
Though it feels like 10 PM, Jacob has finally settled down for a snooze. We've learned that he is happiest in the stroller making laps around the halls. I am hoping that being upright for so long will help reduce the swelling. I think he will be much more tolerant and cooperative when he can see what is happening, especially when it comes to eating.

4:00 PM
Sorry for the lack of updates. It has been a very, very long day. Jacob has cried out of frustration essentially non-stop since 9 AM. He is refusing everything, including sleep. And with the incessant crying, his eyes have become very swollen. This feels never ending. Despite all of that, we have been moved from PICU to the regular Inpatient floor.

Also, if I had a penny for everytime I heard "I want to go home", I wouldn't need to buy a lottery ticket.

Here's to a better night and patient nurses.

7:00 AM
Jacob had an amazing night last nigt. I took the first shift and slept soundly in bed with him from 10PM to 2AM. He awoke a few times for a drink or a cold rag on his eyes but quietly went back to sleep. Scott took the next shift. It started with Jake throwing a fit of frustration but once we settled him down, he slept straight through until 5AM.

We were up at 5 AM. He's had a lot to drink. He requested a chocolate donut but nothing seems to be open before 6AM. His face is looking much better. I am hopeful that he will get his eyes open later today. He refuses to pee in his pull-up and insists on using the potty. This was also true for his first bowel movement this morning. Gross, I know, but it's a milestone in this place!

He didn't want to go back to bed so we sat together in the chair to watch George. Soon, he requested to sit by himself. So we propped him up with pillows and after one more episode, he fell fast asleep. The first round of doctors were kind enough not to wake him up.

Below are a couple of pictures of our little trooper. Nothing graphic. We just want everyone to know that is doing great. In the pictures without the cast on his nose, the brown stuff is just a special tape that is slightly hardened for extra protection.

 
 

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you and so proud of Jake. What some amazing stories. These trying times can very quickly turn into a blessing - bringing your family closer together and strengthening your faith in God. It's hard to see the reason for Jake's suffering in the midst, but someday, I have a feeling that little man will do great things with the strength he's acquiring. God bless you guys - lots of prayers and positive energy coming your way... hope you feel it!!!!!
    Haley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like Boof (and Jake has a new friend) Can't say I'm too surprised at how well Jake is doing. He is one tough little dude. Still praying for all of you. I "talked" to Miss Jenna this morning on Auntie Megan's phone and sounds like they are getting along great! Thinking of you all and keeping a close eye on Jake's progress. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nick, Kelly, Nash and Luke4/1/12, 6:57 AM

    Scott, Bethany and Jacob,
    Our hearts go out to you guys - stay strong - in a few days, this will all be behind you and you'll be enjoying the summer! Love you all!

    ReplyDelete