Sunday, September 19, 2010

An Overall Bad Day

While today started out as any other (at 6AM), it wasn't until after 9AM that I knew we were in for a rough one; the rain should have tipped me off.

Scott had errands to run and kindly took Jake with him so I could get housework done. Immediately after they left, I started the vacuum. Soon, there was a knock at the back door...it was a sopping wet hubby and baby. Turns out the truck died right in front of the fire station. So, with Scott's arm close to falling off from carrying Jake all the way home, we drove the "good" truck to tow the other home. I must say it was my first experience towing anything other than a sled; it was quite interesting.

Fast-forward to 4PM...Without sun to provide afternoon warming in the house, it got a little chilly. I thought it would be a perfect time to start a small fire to make the place feel cozy. We did our best to squelch Jake's curiosity, but I took my sights off of him for a split second and I heard the worst scream ever. He had touched the glass on the fireplace door. Being trained in first-aid, I rushed him to the sink and held his hand under the water. That seemed to cool the burn and the tears. After a few minutes, he just started playing in the water, so I figured it was time to move on. I was wrong. He essentially spent the next 2 hours screaming with his fingers under water or on a ice pack. When neither ibuprofen nor dinner nor distraction seemed to help, we headed to the ER.

As soon as we got in the car, he asked for "Bob" as in "Bob the Builder" DVD. So we moved to the truck and were on our way. Jake proceeded to scream over the DVD all the way to the hospital. Screamed in the waiting room. Screamed for his initial exam. Really screamed when they put the bracelet on his ankle. But minutes before the doctor came in, the screaming subsided and the child was laughing and playing. I know it was better to be safe than sorry, but that really burned my butt (that pun was intended). Turns out, Jake has mild, second-degree burns on two fingers. Doc gave us some good tips on burn care and ointment to prevent infection. Forty minutes later and feeling a little foolish, we grabbed some ice cream and went home.

Ironically, we put in a Dr. Seuss DVD and one of the sketches had a campfire. Jake pointed and said "hot owie". I really hope this lesson is imprinted in his little brain.

Upon returning home, there was only a slight fight when trying to bandage the "owies". I attribute those tears to tiredness. Mine, on the other hand, were caused by the frustration of trying to wrap wriggly little finger tips only to have the bandage ripped off within seconds of letting go.

Thankfully, he is fast asleep with fingers wrapped and healing. Here's to hoping tomorrow is a lot brighter!!

No comments:

Post a Comment